Coronavirus: ATP, WTA Seasons Suspended Until June 7

Coronavirus: ATP, WTA Seasons Suspended Until June 7

  • Mar 19, 2020
  • pitchhigh
  • 282

ATP, WTA Seasons

The announcement temporarily closes the men's and women's European season, one day after the French Open was postponed to September.


The ATP and WTA announced the extension of their seasons until June 7 due to the coronavirus epidemic, the tour operators announced on Wednesday. "The professional tennis season is now suspended until June 7, 2020, including the ATP Challenger Tour and the ITF World Tennis Tour," said the ATP and World Tennis Association in a joint statement. Currently, tournaments scheduled for June 8, 2020 and beyond are still planning to move forward according to the published schedule. "

The announcement temporarily closes the men's and women's European season, one day after the French Open was postponed to September.

It also delays the resumption of the tennis season, as the two rounds have already been closed, as the ATP originally suspended the proceedings last week until April 27 and the WTA announced non-play until May 2 on Monday.

"In these difficult times, it is more important than ever that our sport meets to provide the greatest possible degree of certainty to all those affected by these delays," said ITF president David Haggerty.

"We are aware of the huge impact this will have, but ultimately, the health and safety of players, officials and spectators must be our primary concern."

Events affected by the closure include ATP / WTA tournaments combined in Madrid and Rome, WTA events in Strasbourg and Rabat and ATP events in Munich, Estoril, Geneva, and Lyon.

Read more: Coronavirus Pandemic Affects On Sports Events

GET IN TOUCH