CSA said that the decision of the tour South Africa to be played without fans from a Covid-risk perspective.
South African cricket said Monday that the India South Africa Series, starting with Test Boxing Day at Centurion on December 26, will be played without spectators due to the COVID-19 situation in the country.
South Africa last week reported a record number of daily Covid-19 cases in the fourth wave, which is believed to be the main cause of the Omicron variant.
South Africa to be played without fans
“Unfortunately, CSA would like to inform the most ardent cricket fans, as well as all sports fans, that due to the increase in COVID cases worldwide and the fourth wave locally, both cricket authorities have decided to announce the launch of A Making a joint decision for the sake of safety and the tour not to offer tickets to India against Proteas Prasad.
He added, "This decision was taken to avoid any violations that could jeopardize the Tour from a COVID risk standpoint and also maintain a risk-free environment."
The CSA is investigating several alternative public offerings. The series takes place amid a growing threat of COVID-19 cases after the Omicron case surfaced last month. The country has seen a sudden increase in the number of cases in recent weeks. The tour was already in great doubt due to the prevailing situation but the boards of directors of both countries agreed to move forward.
On Sunday, the CSA postponed the remaining rounds of the four-day franchise series, the country's main national competition, as a precaution due to COVID-19 concerns.
Visitors who arrived here on December 16 are staying at the Irene Lodge, a resort entirely dedicated to them by the CSA to ensure a strict biological bubble is maintained throughout the chain.
The third round will be held in Cape Town starting January 11th. This series is part of the new ICC World Trials Championship.
"...are able to enjoy an environment, while still adhering to high-security measures and fulfilling their duty of care," the council said.
The decision was made after much deliberation, Foletsi Moscicki“We are aware of the interest expressed by fans and other stakeholders in being able to return to the stadium and would like to assure all cricket fans that this decision was not made lightly, but in the best interests of the sport for the health and safety of all customers,” said Muteki., acting CEO of CSA, said.
Also Read - IPL 2022 Retention: Quick Recap