Pakistan Television (PTV) has slapped a Rs 100 million defamation notice on former cricketer Shoaib Akhtar for walking out of a show on air last month after a heated argument with the host Nauman Niaz.
Shoaib Akhtar had walked out of a PTV programme and resigned from his job as a cricket analyst after being told to leave the set by the host of the show at the state-owned channel while analysing Pakistan's victory over New Zealand at the ICC T20 World Cup 2021.
PTV has now sent a defamation notice to the mercurial sports star as his on-air resignation violated the clause and also resulted in financial losses for the channel.
"As per clause 22, both sides shall have right to terminate his agreement by serving three months' written notice or payment in lieu thereof. Whereas, Shoaib Akhtar resigned on air on October 26 which has resulted into huge financial losses to PTV," the notice read.
"Shoaib Akhtar also left Dubai during T20 World Cup transmission without any prior information to PTVC management. Besides, appearance on an Indian TV show along with Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh, which also caused irreparable losses to PTV," the notice further added.
Also Read- Babar Azam Becomes First Captain To Score 3 Fifties In T20 World Cup
Akhtar has been asked by the PTVC to pay an amount of Rs 100 million as damages along with an amount of Rs 33,33,000, equivalent to a three-month salary to the organisation, otherwise, PTC "reserves its rights to initiate legal proceedings" against Akhtar before the court of competent jurisdiction, said ARY News.
"Utterly Disappointed. After miserably failing to safeguard my respect & repute while i was working for PTV, they have now sent me a Recovery Notice. I am a fighter & will not give up & fight this legal battle. My lawyer @SalmanKNiazi1 will take this forward according to law," Akhtar tweeted.
Utterly Disappointed. After miserably failing to safeguard my respect & repute while i was working for PTV, they have now sent me a Recovery Notice. I am a fighter & will not give up & fight this legal battle. My lawyer @SalmanKNiazi1 will take this forward according to law.— Shoaib Akhtar (@shoaib100mph) November 7, 2021
On Tuesday, October 26 Akhtar had been treated badly and insulted on air by the host on the show. Discussing the match on PTV Sports' 'Game on Hai', Akhtar credited the Pakistan Super League's Lahore Qalandars team for discovering Shaheen Shah Afridi and Haris Rauf.
Host Nauman Niaz took issue with Akhtar's comments and said: "You're being a little rude and I don't want to say this, but if you're being over smart, you can go. I am saying this on air."
Akhtar, who was on the show alongside former players David Gower and Viv Richards, said he could not continue. "A lot of apologies guys, a lot of apologies," Akhtar said before storming off the set. "I am resigning from PTV. The way I have been treated on national TV, I don't think I should be sitting here right now.
Also Read- Yuvraj Singh hints at comeback from retirement next year