HOME TAG

TOKYO OLYMPIC

tokyo olympics 2020

Tokyo olympics 2020: Olympic qualifying dates reshuffled due to coronavirus

  • Jan 31, 2020
  • Aditi Verma
  • 482

SYDNEY: Organisers of the women's Olympic soccer qualifying tournament, which quickly relocated to Sydney after the deadly     Coronavirus outbreak, were forced to switch matches due to quarantine restrictions imposed on Chinese players.More than 200 people in China have died of the influenza-like virus, with nearly 6,000 infected after it appeared late last year in Wuhan, central Hubei Province.On Thursday, the World Health Organization said the outbreak was a public health emergency.The Chinese women's team arrived in Australia on January 29 and quarantined in Brisbane even after February 5. According to the Chinese Football Association, neither of the players has been positive for the virus.They were originally scheduled to play their first match against Thailand on February 3, but the organizers said on Friday that they will now play their first match on February 6.The Australian Football Confederation said in a statement on Friday that an additional day is already scheduled for February 12, when China will play against Australia."As always, the health of all participants, from players and officials to fans and contractors, remains the first priority," said James Johnson, CEO of the Football Association."This new coordination allows us to organize these matches with this priority in mind, and we now hope to welcome all teams and organize a successful tournament."Many other international sporting events, including boxing championships and the qualification of the basketball for this year's Tokyo Olympics, have been cancelled, postponed or transferred from China. The four-team championship which includes China, Australia, Taiwan and Thailand was transferred from Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus outbreak, to Australia by the Asian Football Confederation.Read More: Schedule of Hockey Test Event in the Olympic

IOC looking at postponing Tokyo Olympics; Canada pulls out

IOC looking at postponing Tokyo Olympics; Canada pulls out

  • Mar 23, 2020
  • pitchhigh
  • 357

The IOC is planning meetings with Japanese public authorities, global sports officials, broadcasters and sponsors that will deal with scenario planning for the Olympics, which are scheduled to start July 24. Canceling the games is not under consideration.It will take the International Olympic Committee up to four weeks to consider postponing the Olympic Games in Tokyo amid increasing criticism of its handling of the coronavirus crisis that now includes Canada, saying it will not send a team to the games this year and the track and field leader, the most important sport in matches that also require delay.The International Olympic Committee is planning meetings with Japanese public authorities, global sports officials, broadcasters and sponsors who will be responsible for planning the Olympic Games scenarios, which are scheduled to begin on July 24. The cancellation of the games is not under consideration.International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach has sent a message to athletes explaining the decision and why it could take so long while acknowledging that an extended schedule may not be popular."I know this unprecedented situation leaves many of your questions open," he wrote.“I also know that this rational approach may not be consistent with the feelings that many of you must go through.”But just hours after the announcement, World Athletics President Seb Coe sent a message to Bach saying that hosting the Olympics in July "is neither feasible nor desirable".He revealed a number of reasons, including competitive fairness, the possibility that athletes will be overly trained if given a tight schedule, and the uncertainty caused by orders in many countries that ban people from gyms and other training venues."No one wants to postpone the Olympics, but ... We cannot hold the event at any cost, and certainly not at the expense of athletes' safety," he wrote."The decision about the Olympics can become very, very clear." Then on Sunday evening, the Canadian Olympic Committee announced that it would not send athletes to Tokyo unless the matches were postponed for a year, making it the first country to threaten such a move. The committee said in a statement that it is not safe for athletes to continue training."In fact, it is against public health councils to urge all Canadians to follow it," the committee said.Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe also urged the International Olympic Committee to take a speedy decision, adding that the delay would be inevitable if the games were not fully implemented.But it is possible that a decision will not be made before next month.The International Olympic Committee said the scenarios under consideration "relate to amending the current operational plans for the Games to continue on July 24, 2020, as well as changes in the start date of the Games."The change in strategy came after Bach's phone call with members of the Executive Council.Bach has steadfastly said that the organizers are fully committed to opening the games on July 24th although athletic training, qualification events and game preparations are increasingly disrupted by the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus.Criticism of the situation has increased in recent days by Olympic gold medalists and the International Olympic Committee member last Tuesday before Bach finally recognized the possibility of developing an alternative plan.The National Olympic Committees of Brazil and Slovenia later called for a delay until 2021. The Norwegian Olympic Committee said it did not want athletes to go to Tokyo until the global health crisis was brought under control.The governing bodies of swimming in the United States and tracking two of the top three sports in the summer games have asked their national Olympic officials to push for a delay."There is a significant increase in cases and outbreaks of COVID-19 in different countries on different continents," the International Olympic Committee said."This (Council) led to the conclusion that the International Olympic Committee must take the next step in planning its scenario."The International Olympic Committee said last week that nearly 4,700 of the 11,000 Olympic Games venue had not yet been allocated.Bach acknowledged the problems that come with a compact or radically changed classification table, but also outlined several reasons why the IOC was unable to rush to make a decision.It included the availability of venues that are scheduled for use this summer but might not be available at a later time and the disruption of future events in the individual sports.“A decision about a postponement today could not determine a new date for the Olympic Games because of the uncertain developments in both directions: an improvement, as we are seeing in a number of countries thanks to the severe measures being taken, or a deteriorating situation in other countries,” Bach said.Read More: Tokyo Olympics 2020 Updates

Hockey

Indian hockey forward Dilpreet Singh says Taking each training session as opportunity to make strong case for spot in Olympic squad

  • Feb 16, 2021
  • pitchhigh
  • 192

Indian hockey striker Dilpreet Singh, who was training at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) Center in Bangalore as part of the potential major-male group, plans to make the cut in the Round of 16 final that he will represent to India in the prestigious Tokyo Olympics, set to begin in July.The 21-year-old striker said that since there are no major competitions in 2020 affected by the epidemic, he takes every training session as an opportunity to make a strong case for a place on the Olympic team. We don't want to worry about factors that are not under our control. I don't want to wait for the chance to play a match for India to defend myself but to make the most of the opportunity here in the camp to show my skills and prove myself. "We give 100 percent of each training session," Dilpreet said in a statement.Speaking of his development and the opportunity for him to train with senior players again in the camp, the youngster added: "I've been working on my technical game. I improved my end. Watching the older players playing and spending time with them helps the younger players gain confidence and of course improve." We ask our veteran players for advice and guidance, and they have been of great help to us at all times. "Dilpreet, who was part of the teams that won the silver and bronze medals at the Breda Hockey Champions Cup 2018 and Asian Games 2018, respectively, returned to the junior starting group after the 2018 World Cup.Speaking of the omission, the boy from Amritsar said, “I was very upset with myself because I was a part of almost every major tournament and I was looking forward to appearing in the Olympics as well. But the omission of the senior core group affected me so much and made me realize that I had squandered the golden opportunity and I had to work harder. "However, a year later, after doing well in potential youth basics, Dilpreet was called up for the FIH Pro League match against World Champion Belgium."I started from scratch. I trained hard in the junior camp to at least get a place in the first team. He used to follow every first-team training exercise. I was in constant contact with the top players for that and asked them for guidance, and finally, in 2020, I'm back." "To the main group of the FIH Hockey Pro League. The postponement of the Olympic Games gave players like me the opportunity to improve the situation and make the most of it. The choice of teams is not in my hands, I focus on giving 100 percent on the field and improving day after day."Also Read: The 47th FIH Statutory Congress will happen in Delhi